Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ooey, Gooey Nutella Banana Bread


My snack. I was good and started my day off with yoga and even went to the gym. Heck, I might even go back later on today. Even though I love gym time (slightly obsessed), THAT BREAD up there made. my. day. Banana bread that made room for a gooey, Nutella topping. Bam.
I don't think I have met anyone that doesn't like banana bread. Who hates banana bread? No one? Thought so. How about Nutella? Wait, stupid Question. Come on, it's NUTELLA. I don't think you are even allowed to dislike Nutella.

Anyway, this bread. Probably not ok to eat like 3 slices at a time after a great workout (counterproductive, maybe?)............but I did. It's ok, it's healthy kind of healthy. The original recipe was. I sorta...changed it.

Regardless, you need to make it. How can you carry on with your Wednesday without it???


Good food is meant to be shared. And this is some goooooooood eats y'all.
So here's the recipe:

Gooey Nutella Banana Bread
ever so slightly adapted from here

Ingredients
4 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup apple sauce
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter (I used 1 T butter and 1 T coconut oil for a fun twist)
1/2 cup light brown sugar (I used a heaping, packed 1/2 cup and it wasn't overly sweet)
2 large egg whites (Use this, or an egg and a dash of oil for more flavor)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I used 1/4 vanilla, 1/4 maple extract)
1/4 cup Nutella (I used a heaping 1/4 cup)
Fun idea: Throw in some chocolate chips or chop up some (DOVE) chocolate and toss it in the batter.

Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add in the egg whites and stir. Next, add the banana, vanilla (and/or maple extract) and apple sauce. Mix everything together until well combined. Set aside.
3. Mix the flour, baking soda and the salt in a small to medium-sized bowl. 
4. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
5. Warm the Nutella up in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds. (DO NOT overheat or it will become hard to spoon over the batter. If this happens, add a little bit of water and stir vigorously until you reach the desired consistency)
6. Pour the banana bread batter into a bread pan. Add the Nutella on top, in small spoonfuls. *Make sure you distribute evenly or you will have some slices with tons of Nutella goodness and some slices missing out on it.*
7. Swirl the Nutella with a knife and really work it in to the batter to get an even distribution.
8. Put that loaf of heaven in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes. (I baked mine for 45 and it was still gooey enough. Next time I will try for 43-44)

Since they were included with the original recipe, here are the nutritional facts: 
Points: 4 weight watchers points plus
Servings: 13 slices
Serving Size: 1 slice
Nutritional Info: 138.1 calories, 3.8 g of fat, 24.8 g of carbohydrates, 2.5 g of fiber 1.7 g of protein
*Note: These stats are for the ORIGINAL recipe. This is not accurate for the recipe including my adaptations.

Happy hump day (;

No comments:

Post a Comment