Thursday, May 3, 2012

Broccoli Beef Stir-fry w/ Snow Peas



Today, I got my cook on. I'd had this recipe in the back of my mind for a few days now, so I decided to whip it up for tonight. I'm really glad I did, because it was delicious.

I was feeling pretty beat after braving Walmart...yes, braving...out here you don't "go" to Walmart, you brave it..anyway..so I unloaded and watched some Prison Break (I know, I'm like 5 yrs late......) and when thinking about my GENIUS Scofield is (Really, though!), I realized my genius self forgot two ingredients...one being the most important. I forgot the scallions, and the meat. I blame hormones because all I could think about was chocolate and my new TCBY yogurt that tastes JUST LIKE ICE CREAM. The only logical explanation would be to go to the gym so I could stop by the store again on the way home and pick up what I had forgotten. I am a gym rat, no doubt.

Once I had everything I needed, I got started on this right away...after I chased my dog out of the woods and back home so he wouldn't run into boar, or gators near the ponds. Yep, we're in the country.

So about this stir-fry:

1. It tastes comparable to take out and is probably 1000 times healthier.
2. It was so simple to make! 20 minutes tops.

Stir-fry dishes are my new favorite. You whip up an appealing, gourmet-looking meal in 20 minutes and the only skill you must possess to do this is to be able to throw stuff in the wok. Brilliant.

Wanna make it? I'll tell ya how (:

Note: I customized the recipe to feed two, generously, and include more vegetables. I highly recommend using the original recipe or doubling this one if you are feeding a family of 3-5.

Broccoli Beef Stir-fry with Snow Peas
slightly adapted from here

1/4 cup soy sauce* (see note below)
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 Tablespoons Sherry
1/2 Tablespoon of fresh ginger, or a few big shakes of powdered ginger
1 Tablespoon olive, vegetable or coconut oil
~.7 pounds of sirlion, fat trimmed and sliced thinly (or stir-fry strips!)
2 scallions, chopped and divided into two piles
5-6 oz snow peas
As much broccoli as your heart desires
Optional: red pepper flakes


Start off by whisking the soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, sherry and ginger together in a medium sized bowl.

Add the meat, toss it with your hands and set the bowl aside.

Place your oil in a (large) wok. Heat on high, and let the pan get nice and hot. The oil should be shiny.

Add the snow peas and broccoli. Cook for about 45 seconds to 1 minute, until slightly crispy.

Remove the veggies from the heat, and scoop them onto a plate.

Place the wok back over the heat (add more oil if needed or use Pam), add half of the meat (DO NOT add any sauce. A little sauce that goes in with the meat is OK, but do not pour any sauce in). Make sure to place the strips flat on the wok so they are all straight and on one side. Throw in one pile of the scallions along with the meat. Sear for about 1 minute, then turn over and cook for 30 seconds more.

Remove from the heat, add the meat to the veggie plate.

Repeat the process with the other half of the meat and the second pile of chopped scallions. Again, do not pour any sauce in.

Once you've turned the steak over after searing on one side, add the rest of the meat, veggies and pour in the sauce mixture. Sprinkle with some red pepper flakes if desired.

Stir for about 30 seconds. Serve immediately. This goes great over rice! And inhale.

Note: I would use low-sodium soy sauce if possible. We did not have any on hand, so I used regular. It was a tad bit salty. It didn't compromise the flavor much, but next time I am going to put a little less than a quarter cup and up the amount of sherry or just add some water. We'll see (:



Hope y'all enjoy this as much as my husband and I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment